Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Precious


Gosh. I don't think I'm going to be able to write very much about this one. I really think everyone should see this movie. Just once though. I'll never see it again. I don't really know if I could. Gabourey Sidibe, who plays the title character, is really something. Her IMDB profile lists this movie, two rumored upcoming roles, and 18 television interviews. She's been in literally nothing else. But she holds her own on screen. Mo'Nique, despite the critical acclaim, including a Golden Globe win and an Oscar nom, that she's already received for her portrayal of Precious's mother, really blew me out of the water. And I was expecting her to be good. She was better than good. She was perfect. In the most horrible way possible. Every shot of her filled up the screen with her cigarette smoke and her greasy skin and her hateful eyes and her loaded lips. This completely makes up for every mailed-in performance in every low-brow comedy she's been in. It might even make up for "Charm School." Almost. She deserves her Golden Globe. And she deserves to win an Oscar, which I really think she will win. Sidibe deserves an Oscar too. But she's up against the formidable Helen Mirren in a movie no one saw, the equally formidable Meryl Streep in a movie no one really liked, and probably fan-favorite Sandra Bullock in a movie everyone saw and everyone liked but won't turn up on anyones "Best Movies of _____" list. Ever. One of them is going to win. Sidibe is going to get snubbed.
Paula Patton, who I could've sworn was Alicia Keys, is great as Precious's teacher, Ms. Blu Rain. Lenny Kravitz, as a male nurse who helps deliver Precious's second baby by her father, is good but not particularly memorable. And Mariah Carey comes in and plays a small supporting part as a social worker in charge of Precious's welfare payments. Mariah Carey was only OK. She looks like hell, but maybe she's supposed to. She sounds like a chain smoker, but it adds to her authenticity. I don't know how I feel about her. Schmucks in my theater kept laughing every time she was on screen. I hate "that guy".
I don't want to talk too much about plot. It bother's me to type it. Really it does. It bothered me telling people about the movie. Just see it. You won't ever be in the mood to see it, so don't make that an excuse. Just rent it, watch it, return it, and talk about it if you can. Gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment